Construction Updates: Msheireb Downtown Doha
: First phase of Msheireb Downtown Doha is Phase 1A, which consists of Diwan Amiri Quarter (Diwan Annex, Amiri Guard and National Archive), Heritage buildings and Amenity & Infrastructure (District Cooling Plant, Substations and Service Corridors).
- Designs: Designs for major components are complete.
- Enabling Works: Enabling works were awarded to Bauer in June 2009 and the works are 100% Complete.
- Infrastructure Works: Infrastructure works were awarded to CAT in Mar-2010 and the works are 100% Complete.
- Diwan Amiri Quarter: Main Building Work was awarded to Hyundai / HBK Consortium in April 2010. Superstructure works for the main building works are complete and currently 99.8% complete.
- Heritage Quarter: Main Contract was awarded to Qatari Arabian Construction Company (QACC) in Aug-2012 and work is currently 76.97% complete.
Click here for the latest Construction Updates
- Excavation: 1,389,878 cum (100% Complete)
- No. of shoring piles installed: 2,295 (100% Complete)
- No. Of Working Piles installed : 726 (100% Complete)
- Concrete poured: 251,205 cum (100% Complete)
- Stone installed: 142,255 sqm
- 'Power On' achieved in 66 KV substation
- Diwan Annex TOC was issued on 02 Mar 14
- Testing & Commissioning: (DA/AG = 100%; NA = 73%)
The preservation of four 'Heritage Houses' is an important aspect of Phase 1A of the project. The Houses, commonly known as Bin Julmood House, Company House, Mohamed Bin Jassim House and Al Radwani House will be restored and turned into museums.
The Diwan Annex building is the administrative headquarters of the Amiri Diwan and its outward-looking form surrounded by 'liwan' balconies is based on the traditional 'diwania' or small palace.
The Amiri Guard building will house/ provide accommodation for the guards. Its form reflects both the courtyard house and the fort, and the fenestration within its thick masonry walls echoes the 'malqaf' or breathing wall of traditional Qatari houses.
The Qatar National Archive building is the storehouse of the nation's heritage and is based on the form of the traditional fortified tower, becoming a prominent landmark looking towards Doha Bay, the Eid Prayer Ground and Souk Waqif.
Phase 1B/1C: Comprises of Offices, Qatari town houses, Apartments, Amenities, Hotels, Civil Buildings, Schools, Cultural Centre and Mosques.
- Designs: Phase 1B Core & Shell designs are completed except for the on going issuance of Bulletins to the Main Contractor. Hotel ID Designs are completed while F&B Design is on going.
- Designs: Phase 1C Core & Shell designs are completed.
- Enabling Works: Bauer was awarded the Enabling Works in Mar 2010 and completed in Mar-12.
- Piling Works: Swiss Boring was awarded the Piling works on 18 Nov 10 and completed in Mar-12.
- Phase 1B Main Building Works: Main Contractor for Phase 1B (Carillion QBC JV) is on board and basements construction is on-going. Currently, 24.24% complete.
- Phase 1C Main Building Works: Main Contract for Phase 1C was awarded to Brookfield Multiplex/Medgulf Construction Co. in Aug-2012 and commenced the works on 25-Sep-2012. Currently, 26.96% complete.
- JK1 – Cultural Forum: Substructure works were completed in March 2013. The superstructure was awarded in May-2013 to HBK. Currently, HBK has completed 64.6% of the works.
- Excavation: 1,648,105 cum (100% complete)
- No. of piling installed: 1,619 (100% complete)
- Concrete poured: 540,836 cum (1B + JK1 & 1C)
- Stone Installed: 15,012 m2 (1B + JK1 & 1C)
Click here for the latest Construction Updates
Phase 2: Phase 2 mainly comprises Retail, Offices, Apartments, Amenities, Cinemas, Departmental Store and Hotels.
- Lead Consultant assigned in September 2010.
- Designs: Phase 2 Designs are complete except for the ongoing issuance of bulletins to the Main Contractor
- Procurement: Main construction has commenced and was awarded to Arabtec in Nov-2012.
- Enabling Works: Ammico has completed the enabling works in Jun-10.
- Mock-up and Hotel ID: Awarded to Al Mana Maples & Decorelle respectively. The off-site mock-up has been completed on 01 Jun 14.
- Main Work Package: Construction work currently in progress, currently 25.71% of the work is complete.
- Excavation: 1,021,874 cum (100% complete)
- No. of piling installed: 2,491 (100% complete)
- Concrete poured: 325,833 cum
Phase 3: Phase 3 comprises Retail, Offices, Apartments, Amenities, Urban Spa, Day Care Center and Hotels.
- Lead Consultant assigned procured on 24 January 2011.
- Designs: Phase 3 Design stages are complete except for the on going issuance of bulletins to the Main Contractor
- Procurement: The main contract package was awarded to Obayashi & HBK on 8 May 13, and work began on 12 May 2013.
- Demolition Works: MMUP awarded phase 2 & 3 demolition contractor and works commenced on 22 Dec 2010 and 100% Completed.
- Enabling Works: Ammico was awarded the Enabling Works along with Phase 2 package and 100% Completed in Aug-2012.
- Raft Package: HBK completed (100%) the raft package on 28 Apr 2013
- Main Work Package: Construction work currently in progress, currently 9.25% of the work is complete.
Excavation: 949,777 cum (100% complete)
No. of piling installed: 1,401 (100% complete)
Concrete poured: 220,210 cum
Phase 4: Phase 4 mainly comprises Retail, Offices, Apartments, Amenities, Post Office, Medical Clinic and Hotels.
- Design: Lead Consultant assigned on 11 April 2011 to HOK. The design was put on hold due to the Metro. CIP-12 (Resumption of works) was issued to HOK in Aug-2013 and currently design development is in progress.
- Demolition Works: MMUP awarded phase 4 demolition contractor and works commenced on 01 July 2011 and 100% Completed in Apr-12.
- Enabling & Main Building Works: Based on the latest agreed strategy of Oct-2012 with MP/Rail, Phase 4 to be divided into 4 sub-phases (4A/4B/4C/4D).
Designation of space
- Commercial and governmental offices: 289,150 square metres (38.2%)
- Retail: 104,000 sq. m (13.7%)
- Hotels: 115,400 sq. m (15.2%)
- Residences: 196,270 sq. m (25.9%)
- Community and cultural areas, school, mosque, museum: 52,560 sq. m (6.9%)
- Parks and open spaces will cover an area of more than 120,000 square metres.