Construction Updates: Msheireb Downtown Doha
Phase 1 A: First phase of Msheireb Downtown Doha is Phase 1A, which consists of Diwan Amiri Quarter (Diwan Annex, Amiri Guard and National Archive), Heritage buildings and Amenity & Infrastructure (District Cooling Plant, Substations and Service Corridors).
- Designs: Designs for major components are complete.
- Enabling Works: Enabling works were awarded to Bauer in June 2009 and the works are 100% Complete.
- Infrastructure Works: Infrastructure works were awarded to CAT in March 2010. Presently substructure works are in progress, currently 96.55% Complete.
- Main Building works: Hyundai/ HBK consortium was awarded the Main Building Works in April 2010. Superstructure works for the main building works are in progress and currently 66.03% Complete.
- Design Build of District Cooling Plant is in progress. Construction work is in Progress.
Heritage Quarter Main contract awarded to Qatari Arabian Construction Company (QACC) in Aug-2012 and contractor commenced on site in Sep-2012.
- Excavation: 1,389,878 cum
- No. of shoring piles installed: 2,295
- No. Of Working Piles installed : 726
- Concrete poured: 268,944 cum
- Stone installed: 55,597 sqm
- 'Power On' achieved in 66 KV substation
Click here for the latest Construction Updates
The preservation of four 'Heritage Houses' is an important aspect of Phase 1A of the project. The Houses, commonly known as Bin Julmood House, Company House, Mohamed Bin Jassim House and Al Radwani House will be restored and turned into museums.
The Diwan Annex building is the administrative headquarters of the Amiri Diwan and its outward-looking form surrounded by 'liwan' balconies is based on the traditional 'diwania' or small palace.
The Amiri Guard building will house/ provide accommodation for the guards. Its form reflects both the courtyard house and the fort, and the fenestration within its thick masonry walls echoes the 'malqaf' or breathing wall of traditional Qatari houses.
The Qatar National Archive building is the storehouse of the nation's heritage and is based on the form of the traditional fortified tower, becoming a prominent landmark looking towards Doha Bay, the Eid Prayer Ground and Souk Waqif.
Phase 1B/1C: comprises Offices, Qatari town houses, Apartments, Amenities, Hotels, Civil Buildings, Schools, Cultural Centre and Mosques.
- Designs: Phase 1B Core & Shell designs are completed except the Bulletins to be issued to Main Contractor, Carillion, which is ongoing. Hotel ID Designs are in progress while F&B Design has commenced.
- Designs: Phase 1C Core & Shell designs are completed except the Bulletins to be issued to Main Contractor..
- Enabling Works: Bauer was awarded the Enabling Works in Mar 2010 and completed in Mar-12.
- Piling Works: Swiss Boring was awarded the Piling works on 18 Nov 10 and completed in Mar-12.
- Phase 1B Main Building Works: Main Contractor for Phase 1B (Carillion QBC JV) is on board and basements construction is on-going. Currently 5.82% complete.
- Phase 1C Main Building Works: Main Contract for Phase 1C was awarded to Brookfield Multiplex/Medgulf Construction Co. in Aug-2012. Contractor commencement date was 25-Sep-2012.
- Excavation: 1,648,105 cum (100% complete)
- No. of piling installed: 1619 (100% complete)
- Concrete poured: 205,366 cum (1B, 1C)
Phase 2: Phase 2 mainly comprises Retail, Offices, Apartments, Amenities, Cinemas, Departmental Store and Hotels.
- Lead Consultant assigned in September 2010.
- Designs: Phase 2 Designs are complete
- Procurement: Procurement of Main contractor is on-going and expected to be awarded in Nov-2012.
- Enabling Works: Ammico was awarded the Enabling Works Jun 2010 and currently 83.11% completed. Remaining area currently on hold due to existing substation issue.
Phase 3: Phase 3 comprises Retail, Offices, Apartments, Amenities, Urban Spa, Day Care Center and Hotels.
- Lead Consultant assigned procured on 24 January 2011.
- Designs: Phase 3 Design stages are complete. However, Tender Addendums are ongoing.
- Procurement: Raft Contract awarded to HBK in Oct-2012. Procurement of Main Contractor is ongoing and expected to be awarded in Feb-2013.
- Demolition Works: MMUP awarded phase 2 & 3 demolition contractor and works commenced on 22 Dec 2010 and 100% Completed.
- Enabling Works: Ammico was awarded the Enabling Works along with Phase 2 package and 100% Completed in Aug-2012.
Phase 4: Phase 4 mainly comprises Retail, Offices, Apartments, Amenities, Post Office, Medical Clinic and Hotels.
- Lead Consultant assigned on 11 April 2011.
- Demolition Works: MMUP awarded phase 4 demolition contractor and works commenced on 01 July 2011 and 100% Completed in Apr-12.
- Enabling & Main Building Works: All Construction packages on hold including Utility diversion, Enabling & Main Building Works pending finalisation of Phase-4/Metro strategy between MP & Rail.
Designation of space
- Commercial and governmental offices: 280,000 square metres (36.9%)
- Retail: 94,000 sq. m (12.3%)
- Hotels: 117,000 sq. m (15.4%)
- Residences: 222,000 sq. m (29.2%)
- Community and cultural areas, school, mosque, museum: 47,000 sq. m (6.3%)
- Parks and open spaces will cover an area of more than 120,000 square metres.
Click here for the latest Construction Updates